After filling some of the cracks last night with CA, I went out and got turning on that piece of crabapple after work tonight. I found the center by finding the center of each leg of the crotch and then drew lines to intersect at the middle. Not sure if that’s the proper way to do it, but it worked out real close this time.
I drilled for the worm screw and turned the bottom. After turning the bottom with a slight curve to the outside I used some Doctor Woodturner’s Walnut paste wax on it:
Then I turned it around, stuck it on the chuck and got ready to turn the bowl part:
I finished turning out the bowl and used the walnut paste wax on the bowl. Took it over to my oscillating sander and slightly rounded the ends, then waxed them as well.
At the moment I’m not sure what, if anything, to do with the rough top. I like the contrast between the smooth and the rough, just not sure what I should do to protect it.