Tags

, ,

OK, had some time this weekend, finally, to get some work done on this. After spending the last 3 weeks (including weekends) working 10-12 hours a day to get the software out the door it was nice to be able to get back to this project.

I cheated in a couple of ways here: I only cut the mortises on one side for the slats. And then I went out and bought 1/4″ plywood for the slats.

I learned that I’m going to need a better fence (or better method) for cutting the mortises. I have a benchtop drillpress and i used a 1/4″ Forstner bit to drill them out and then used a chisel to clean up. There was a bit too much variability in the alignment of the holes that I’ll have to be careful of.

I went the quick and easy route on the slats and used the oscillating sander to round the edges, but I’ll be picking up a 1/8″ roundover bit and do that work on the router table for the real thing.

I added the runner along the bottom of the lower rails for the piece of plywood the mattress will sit on. I’m thinking baltic birch plywood for the real article, although a piece of cherry would probably look better.

It’s nice to see it finally take shape. Now I have to build the ends, check out the mechanism for it to swing and see if I can really support the drawer idea or if that’s going to throw the balance too far out.