Tags

, ,

Got out to the shop today because my sandpaper came in.

A quick aside: i finally found a user’s manual for my Ryobi drum sander and found the actual specifications for cutting the strip of sandpaper. Turns out that I was doing everything correct except the cutting of the strip.

Because I measured from strip to strip they eventually got just a bit too short to grip properly and that’s why they kept coming off. Of course, by the time I discovered that I was down to my last strip and that got too loaded for me to finish the sanding I needed.

I finally found the best price for rolled paper at SuperGrit and ordered a 50yd roll (at $1.10/yard for 220) and it got here today.

So I was able to finish up the pre-assembly sanding and got the faces re-identified. Next up will be the cutting to actual width (after I get new jointer blades so i can create a reference edge.)

I have here a couple of shots of what the grain looks like now that it’s sanded down smooth.

Cradle end piece showing grain

Cradle end piece showing grain

Some cradle pieces showing grain

Some cradle pieces showing grain

And here’s the stack that will turn into a cradle:

Stack of wood that will become a cradle.

Stack of wood that will become a cradle.