Tags

, , ,

So, it’s been a while since I posted. Work, weather, and Christmas projects got in the way, but I’ve made some pretty good progress recently.

Here’s the 3 boards laying out prior to laying out the pieces:

Cradle boards with pieces laid out.

Cradle boards with pieces laid out.

Next I laid out all the pieces and got some help cutting out the strips. The ends were fine to cut out, but I learned that a 11 to 12″ 4/4 cherry board that’s 8 to 10′ long is [b]a lot[/b] heavier than the pine I used for the prototype. This was a lesson that I learned without having to actually try it, so no danger involved. Now I realize why people that do this all the time have outfeed tables or runners.

Strips cut from boards

Strips cut from boards

The wider piece on the right is for the drawer to go underneath. I’m thinking that I might resaw that down for a thinner drawer edge – but on the other hand having more weight on the bottom could add some stability as well.

This morning I cut the strips to length.

Everything cut out

Everything cut out

Now it’s out to the shop to hit up the jointer to get the pieces square and to width, then the drum sander to get them all the same thickness. It’s times like these that a planer would come in handy :)

I cut the top and bottom rails for the cradle from continuous strips so that, as much as possible, the grain will wrap around the cradle and the top and bottom rails were cut next to each other so there should be some continuity there as well. I don’t know how noticeable that will be, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

I’ll do the jointing to get to width and transfer the piece identity and orientation to the sides before I get to the sanding. There are enough pieces there that I don’t want to try to reassemble the order of them all. I’m fairly good at puzzles but that doesn’t mean I want to add to the difficulty if i don’t have to.